Attendance continues to improve at General Membership Meetings. In addition to the Electrical Workers Death Benefit Society’s annual meeting, the following updates were reported on February 10:
- Moment of silence for Harry Van Arsdale Jr., who passed away 36 years ago on February 16, 1986. In his honor, the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Memorial Association was founded on November 24, 1986. Please consider becoming a member and making a $35 tax-deductible donation today.
- Local Union No. 3 marked the 122nd anniversary of our charter with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) on February 7, 1900.
- Happy New Year to our Chinese brothers and sisters. 2022 is the Year of the Tiger.
- The Electrical Worker reported on the LaGuardia Airport renovation project in the cover story of their latest monthly issue.
- 17 members of Local 3 are currently in active military service (U.S. Army, Navy, Army Reserves, Marine Corps, Air Force, and National Guard).
- An update on the ‘A’ Construction contract negotiations was delivered by Negotiating Committee Chairman Joseph Magel, including a list of employers’ initial proposals.
- Business Manager Erikson delivered his report, including updates from the Building Trades and the Joint Board.
- 77 members and retirees of Local 3 have passed away to COVID-19. At-home tests through insurance can potentially cost the JIB Welfare plans $6 million each month.
- The next MIJ exam and ‘A’ exam will take place on April 2.
- Updates from the Manufacturing and Maintenance Divisions.
- JIB Safety Director Cornelius Skeahan reported one safety incident on a job in Manhattan, where an electrical fire caused burns on a Local 3 member’s hands and body, and he is receiving treatment for his injuries.
- Executive Order by President Biden requires PLA’s on federal projects of $35 million or more, affecting over $200 billion and 200,000 workers on federally funded projects.
- The White House also released the first report from the Task Force on Worker Organizing and Empowerment.
- The upcoming Terminal 1 job at JFK Airport will institute an ADR program for workers’ compensation similar to Local 3’s E.E.S.I.S.P. with Business Manager Erikson appointed to the labor-management committee.
- Business Manager’s upcoming editorial, “Connect”, emphasizes our Union’s priority of organizing and growing our membership. As Harry Van Arsdale Jr. used to say, “A worker has no chance without a union.”
The next General Membership Meeting will take place on March 10.