The latest General Membership Meeting took place on December 9. Attendance remains steady under difficult circumstances. Updates include:
- Report from the annual meeting of the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Memorial Association Board of Directors on November 23, including reports from the Fellowship Program and the Scholarship Program.
- Educational and Cultural Trust Fund has sent out applications for the 74th Scholarship Awards. Applications are due by January 28, 2022.
- Paid family leave deduction will increase in the first week of 2022.
- "A” Construction contract negotiations will begin in January. The current contract expires on April 13, 2022.
- Representatives from the apprentice classes of 2017, ʼ18, and ʼ19 have been appointed to the Wage and Policy Committee.
- The Wage and Policy Committee held a meeting in the JIB auditorium on December 16.
- The General Membership approved by acclamation a $5,000 donation to the family of Justin Shilling, a victim in the Oxford (Michigan) High School shooting on November 30. Justin’s father, grandfather and step-mom are members of the IBEW. Business Manager Christopher Erikson spoke with the Business Manager of IBEW Local 58 (Detroit) to send his condolences on behalf of Local 3.
- Unemployment has gone back up to 10.8%, so the work-sharing plan will continue in the new year.
- Ørsted, the leading developer in offshore wind power with multiple upcoming projects in the northeast U.S., is looking to hire 18 offshore wind technicians, preferably from the IBEW.
- If you are working on a traveler’s card in another IBEW local union (e.g., Local 25 in Nassau County), please keep the Employment Department updated on your employment status. Call (718) 591-2000 ext. 1490.
- Rank-and-file members need to get involved locally, knock on doors and contact City Council members on implementing policies and regulations that work for us.
- The Building Trades (BCTC) meeting focused on diverse hiring, extending the PLA with NYCHA as it undergoes privatization plans, and major projects, such as Empire Station (the new Penn Station and the surrounding neighborhood), 270 Park Avenue (JPMorgan Chase building), LaGuardia Airport Delta terminal design-build, and Port Authority’s $10 billion renovation of JFK Terminal One.
Happy holidays and happy new year to you and your families. The next General Membership Meeting, the first of 2022, will take place on January 13.