Listed below are some of the news updates announced at the latest General Membership Meeting on August 11:
- Amendment to Article 16 Section 11 (Selection of Election Judge) was approved by delegates at the 40th IBEW International Convention. The first reading to Local 3 members took place at the August meeting and the second reading will take place at the September meeting. A postcard will be sent to members in good standing with a notice about the amendment and the second reading at the next meeting.
- The 51st Annual Long Island William J. Lindsay Softball Tournament will be co-hosted by Locals 3, 25 and 1049 on August 26-28 at Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, NY.
- National Night Out Against Crime was held on August 2 with the NYPD 107th Precinct in the Electchester Shopping Center. Business Representative Rich Duva spoke on behalf of Local 3.
- Recent passage of the bipartisan CHIPS Act (strengthen domestic semiconductor manufacturing, design, and research) and the PACT Act (expansion of veterans’ health care) were two legislative wins for President Biden.
- Make sure Labor Day Parade flyers (available in English and Spanish) are posted at your jobsite.
- Currently, 14 Local 3 members are in military service (U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. National Guard).
- Furlough Plan: 427 referred out since July 5 and 328 were replacements.
- 74 construction projects with 30 or more Local 3 electricians on the job.
- Apprenticeship Program: 909 apprentices currently, and a new class will start in September with 110 new apprentices and 40 replacements.
- Classes begin on September 12 at the SUNY Empire State College Harry Van Arsdale Jr. School of Labor Studies.
- Next “A” and MIJ exams scheduled for November 19.
- IBEW is recruiting 10,000 members to register for the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Training Program (EVITP) certification that is now preferred by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Call the Educational and Cultural Trust Fund first, as they will cover the fees for Local 3 members. The phone number is (718) 591-2000 ext. 1530.
- JIB Safety Director Cornelius Skeahan reported on two serious accidents over the last few weeks and gave a video presentation on safety, fire hazards, and PPE. When on the job, always follow safety procedures, isolate equipment and never work live, and wear arc-rated (AR) clothing, which is flame-resistant.
- NYS Building & Construction Trades Council 38th Constitutional Convention took place on July 31 - August 3 in Saratoga Springs, NY. Gary LaBarbera was re-elected president.
- BCTC Executive Board met on August 10 to discuss the Champlain Hudson Power Express, PLA’s with MTA and DCAS, affordable workforce housing developments, Department of Labor survey, the Pending Development Program, and microchip (semiconductor) plants in upstate New York.
- Beware of “progress tracking” apps designed by companies such as Google, which may be used by employers for disciplinary measures.
- Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 passed by Congress and signed by President Joe Biden. See the Business Manager’s Message, “Schumer Gets It Done,” for details.
- Meeting with the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY) scheduled for September 6 to discuss the value Local 3 brings to the industry and every job we are on.
- Notify the union hall if contractors/building owners are using non-union labor, especially on jobs without a shop steward.
- Mike Welsh, VP of IBEW 3rd District, is retiring. Dennis Affinati has been appointed by International President Lonnie R. Stephenson to serve out his unexpired term.
- The NYS AFL-CIO C.O.P.E. Convention took place on August 16 where endorsements were made for Congress, State Senate, and Assembly in the General Election on November 8.
- Let’s get 10,000 Local 3 members to the Labor Day Parade on September 10!
The next General Membership Meeting is on Thursday, September 8. Since it’s the week of Labor Day and the Parade, it would be great to have strong attendance in the House that Harry built!