Due to the “A” contract ratification meeting taking place on April 14 and the IBEW International Convention during the week of May 9-13, the General Membership Meeting on May 19 was the first in over two months. Listed below are some of the news updates during that time:
- Vice President Louis Alvarez chaired the meeting in place of President Thomas J. Cleary.
- Local 3 celebrates Asian American Heritage Month and Armed Forces Day. Thank you to our brothers and sisters for what you do and contribute to our Union.
- Thomas Van Arsdale (former Local 3 Business Manager and NYC CLC President) passed away on May 20, 2018.
- Reading of the minutes from March 10 General Membership Meeting and Executive Board Meetings on March 14, March 28, April 11, and April 25.
- Currently, 18 members serve in active military service (Army, Army Reserve, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and National Guard).
- IBEW Life Saving Award granted to Local 3 member John F. Martin for an incident on November 10, 2021.
- Legislative Report: Legislative session ends on June 2, and redistricting maps for Congress and State Senate have been finalized.
- NABTU signed a PLA with Ørsted called the Offshore Wind Agreement (OWA), with negotiations headed by Allison Ziogas, former Local 3 forewoman.
- Eric Ulrich, former City Councilmember from the 32nd District (southern Queens), is now the Commissioner of the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB).
- College Helper Summer Program: Must be 18+ and enrolled full-time student. Send application to Compensation Representative Cliff Tuohy.
- IBEW 40th International Convention took place in Chicago, IL from May 9-13, as well as caucuses the week before. President Joe Biden is the first sitting president to ever visit the IBEW’s International Convention.
- “WTFU” hardhat stickers ordered for the membership.
- Local 3 Day at Citi Field on Saturday, August 6: Ticket purchase was put to a vote and approved by the membership.
The next General Membership Meeting will take place on June 9, which will be the annual “Hot Dog Meeting.